essay on shark fish

He has also discovered hydrothermal vents and “black smokers” in the Galapagos Rift and East Pacific Rise in 1977 and 1979. ... With this the shark can thrust its entire mouth forward to attack its prey(Shark-info.com). Sharks are considered an apex predator. During this time, all I do is stare out at the ocean, and watch as the sun slowly sets in the distance. ... All papers are for research and reference purposes only! Sharks sense of taste is a lot better. Born in New Zealand, Simon received his B.S. Much of his current research centers on the use of acoustic telemetry and satellite-based tagging technology to study the ecology and behavior of sharks. Some fish have even evolved mechanisms to deal with high levels of pollution. , often termed “New England’s Titanic.” This project uses cutting-edge technology to construct 3D photogrammetric models of the Portland and other wrecks for archaeological and biological research and resource management. Ever since I was little, I would frequently visit the beach. By tagging sharks, WHOI scientists have revealed their surprising behavior. The pupil in the eyes of some sharks (requiem sharks such as tiger sharks and reef sharks), contrary to popular belief, may open and shut quite rapidly. All of these activities are great, but surf fishing for sharks around five in the evening, is my favorite in the middle of summer. When swimming through the earth's magnetic field, a shark induces electric fields that depend upon the direction of the shark's movement. There are about 500 species of sharks, several of which are among the most recognizable fish species on Earth, including the white shark, one of the ocean's largest predators, and the whale shark, which is the largest fish in the ocean. We need to save these magnificent animals for they hold a very important role in the ecosystem in our oceans. Simon Thorrold is an ocean ecologist at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. He has conducted more than 60 scientific expeditions in the Arctic, Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian Oceans. There are over three hundred fifty species of sharks. The beach is about an hour and 15 minutes away from my house in Carroll County, Maryland. Timothy Shank is a deep-sea biologist, Associate Scientist in the Biology Department, and former Director of the Ocean Exploration Institute at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. . of international trade TRADE travels by ship. The Great White for example grows about 25-30 cm per a year; it reaches full maturity in about nine years. After I finish unloading all my gear and get everything set up, I wade out to about thigh high water, and cast out the line. Bony fish are found around the world in both salt and fresh water, from the tropics to the Arctic and Antarctic, and from the coasts to the deepest parts of the ocean. He uses techniques that span isotope geochemistry, next generation DNA sequencing, and satellite tagging to study the ecology of a wide variety of ocean species. Fish are aquatic animals that were among the first vertebrates (animals with a backbone) to evolve on Earth. Also, the kids playing on the beach, and the bustling of the people on boardwalk, can be heard off in the background. Before publishing your Essay on this site, please read the following pages: 1. A shark's most common natural enemy is an another shark. At this pace the shark is at serious risk of becoming an endangered species, today there are four sharks that are especially close to this and they are; The Dusky shark, Spiny Dogfish, Basking shark, and the Great White shark. This diversity means that fish as a group have evolved a wide range of behaviors and characteristics, from migratory behaviors to reproductive strategies. To protect coral reefs, governments and conservationists are looking to establish networks of marine reserves, where fishing is prohibited. The year is 1945. Read our, and more than 100 dives with autonomous underwater and remotely-operated vehicles, including the first use of a hybrid ROV, He is the author of the award-winning, best-selling book “. Greg has been an avid SCUBA diver and underwater photographer since 1978. Each year, between 50 and 100 million sharks are killed, mainly for their fins, which are used to make a traditional Chinese soup. Transitional Phrases Persuasive Essay. There are 365 species of of sharks in the sea as we know today. The year is 1945. Most of them eat live fish, including other sharks. © 2002-2020 ExampleEssays.com. 3. The white shark will have a litter of about 7 to 9 pups at a time, but the only problem with that is that the females only reproduce about twice a lifetime. Shark meat is becoming a product that is very much in demand these days; approximately 125 countries are commercially fishing sharks. His honors include 22 Honorary Doctorates, National Geographic’s highest award, the Hubbard Medal, and a National Endowment for the Humanities Medal. Sharks are just the same. Sharks In the world today their are more than 400 different types of sharks swimming in the ocean. Sharks are a group of elasmobranch fish characterized by a cartilaginous skeleton, five to seven gill slits on the sides of the head, and pectoral fins that are not fused to the head. They are divided into two broad groups: teleosts, which have a bony skeleton and symmetrical tail and include most familiar fish species, and elasmobranchs, which have a skeleton made of cartilage and include sharks, rays and skates. I can hear the waves continuously hitting, and receding from the shore. Other predator sharks are Bull and Tiger Sharks Due to there being more sharks and getting bigger, less fish swimming bad for fisherman there have been 15 deaths since 2010 and staggering 51 injuries You can loose valuable family members to shark attacks leaving their families feeling distraught This level of harvesting is unsustainable and has dramatically reduced populations of many shark species around the world. All sharks are carnivores.

Speed Of Radio Waves In Air M/s, Who Is The Owner Of Pearl Fm Uganda, Plain White Bed In A Bag, French Hors D'oeuvres, Lemon Blondies Recipe Uk, Startup Boost Edge, Chehre Full Movie, Invisalign Singapore Cost, Types Of Maintenance Organization, Hennessy Pecan Brown Sugar Pound Cake, Use Communicable In A Sentence, Pepperidge Farm Meme, Best Sourdough Book, Weather Buenos Aires, Argentina, Cozy In Greek, Note 20 Xbox Controller, Dhun Lagi Lyrics Meaning In English, Maybelline Superstay Foundation Review, Worth Our Weight Nectarine Scones Recipe, Jet Hand Sanitizer Spray, Diet For Chronic Fatigue And Fibromyalgia, Jessie Ralph Find A Grave, Chiffon Women's Long Sleeve Blouses, How To Make Tim Hortons French Vanilla Keurig, Porsche Racing Yellow Color Code, Pomegranate Juice Recipe,